B.S. in Physical Therapy, 1976, University of Pittsburgh
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, 1982, California State University, Sacramento
M.S. in Electrical Engineering, 1983, California State University, Sacramento
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, 1989, University of California, Davis
Affiliation: Biomedical Engineering Graduate Group
Prior to her PhD, Dr. Ferrara was a project engineer for General Electric Medical Systems, involved in the development of early magnetic resonance imaging and ultrasound systems. Following an appointment as an Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Dr. Ferrara served as the founding chair of the Department of Biomedical Engineering at UC Davis. She is currently a Distinguished Professor of Biomedical Engineering at UC Davis with research interests in imaging and drug delivery. She is the Director of the Center for Content Rich Evaluation of Therapeutic Efficacy (cCRETE) as part of the UC Davis RISE program. Dr. Ferrara received the Achievement Award from the IEEE Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control Society in 2012, which is the top honor of this society. She is a fellow of the IEEE, American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Biomedical Engineering Society, the Acoustical Society of America and the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering. Her laboratory is active in the development of the new field of image-guided drug delivery. Her google scholar profile can be found at http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=7mTBiAQAAAAJ&hl=en
1. Kheirolomoom A, Lai CY, Ingham ES, Tam SM, Mahakian LM, Watson KD, Ferrara KW. Complete regression of local cancer with minimal toxicity by multiple administrations of doxorubicin stabilized in temperature-sensitive liposomes combined with ultrasound-mediated hyperthermia, Journal of Controlled Release, 2013 Aug 28, PMCID in process.
2. Thorsen F, Fite B, Mahakian LM, Seo JW, Qin S, Harrison V, Johnson S, Ingham ES, Meade TJ, Caskey CF, Sundstrøm T, Harter P, Skaftnesmo KO, Ferrara KW. Multimodal imaging of blood-tumor barrier disruption during brain metastatic development in an experimental mouse model of melanoma metastasis. J Control Release. 2013 Oct 23, PMCID in process.
3. Zhang G, Panigrahy D, Mahakian LM, Yang J, Liu JY, Stephen Lee KS, Wettersten HI, Ulu A, Hu X, Tam S, Hwang SH, Ingham ES, Kieran MW, Weiss RH, Ferrara KW, Hammock BD. Epoxy metabolites of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) inhibit angiogenesis, tumor growth, and metastasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Apr 16;110(16):6530-5, PMC3631682.
4. Malik ZA, Kott KS, Poe AJ, Kuo T, Chen L, Ferrara KW, Knowlton AA. Cardiac myocyte exosomes: stability, HSP60, and proteomics. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2013 Apr;304(7):H954-65. doi: 10.1152/ajpheart.00835.2012. Epub 2013 Feb 1, PMC3625894.
5. Fite BZ, Liu Y, Kruse DE, Caskey CF, Walton JH, Lai CY, Mahakian LM, Larrat B, Dumont E, Ferrara KW. Magnetic Resonance Imaging at 7T for Real-Time Monitoring and Correction of Ultrasound Induced Mild Hyperthermia. PLoS One. 2012; 7(4):e35509. Epub 2012 Apr 20, PMC3335017.
6. Dong H, Dube N, Shu JY, Seo JW, Mahakian LM, Ferrara KW, Xu T. Long Circulating Micelles Stabilized By Directional Repulsive Forces. ACS Nano. 2012 Jun 26; 6(6):5320-9, PMC3531550.
7. Watson KD, Lai CY, Qin S, Kruse DE, Lin YC, Seo JW, Cardiff RD, Mahakian LM, Beegle J, Ingham ES, Curry FR, Reed RK, Ferrara KW. Ultrasound increases nanoparticle delivery by reducing intratumoral pressure and increasing transport in epithelial and epithelial-mesenchymal transition tumors. Cancer Research, Cancer Res. 2012 Mar 15;72(6):1485-93. Epub 2012 Jan 26, PMC3357123.
8. Rygh CB, Qin SP, Seo JW, Mahakian LM, Zhang H, Adamson R, Chen JQ, Borowsky AD, Cardiff RD, Reed RK, Curry FRE, and Ferrara KW (2011) Longitudinal Investigation of Permeability and Distribution of Macromolecules in Mouse Malignant Transformation Using PET. Clinical Cancer Research 2011 Feb 1;17(3):550-9. PMC3107124.
9. Hamzah J, Kotamraju VR, Seo JW, Agemy L, Fogal V, Mahakian LM, Peters D, Roth L, Gagnon MK, Ferrara KW, Ruoslahti E.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Apr 26;108(17):7154-9. Epub 2011 Apr 11. PMC3084060.
10. Hu-Lowe, DD, Chen, EH, Zhang, LL, Watson, KD, Mancuso, P, Lappin, P, Wickman, G, Chen, JH, Wang, JY, Jiang, X, Amundson, K, Simon, R, Erbersdobler, A, Bergqvist, S, Feng, Z, Swanson, TA, Simmons, BH, Lippincott, J, Casperson, GF, Levin, WJ, Stampino, CG, Shalinsky, DR, Ferrara, KW, Fiedler, W, and Bertolini, F (2011) Targeting Activin Receptor-Like Kinase 1 (ALK-1) Inhibits Angiogenesis and Tumorigenesis through a Mechanism of Action Complementary to Anti-VEGF Therapies. Cancer Research 71, 1362-1373, PMC3269003.